Form I-9 Changes
The revisions below were made to reduce errors on the form I-9. The new form was revised on 07/17/2017. Going forward, use the new form for all new hires.
What are some best practices for form I-9?
- Completed I-9's must be kept separate from all employee files
- White-out cannot be used on these forms. If you cross out information, you must initial the correction
- Conduct an I-9 audit every year to make sure you are compliant
- Review the I-9 BEFORE it is filed for errors
- Provide training to Managers on how to properly fill out the I-9
- Provide new hires with instructions on the acceptable documents and to bring them on the first day of work
- Have the employee fill out the I-9 on the first day of work
- Know your retention requirements
- If you save identification with the I-9 for one employee, save them for all employees
- Know what the acceptable forms of documentation are
- Use E-Verify
- Identify who can translate the form in your company if needed