Ms. Sawhney has also served as a testifying expert witness. She has worked with counsel to develop case strategy, assist counsel with depositions and prepare reports and demonstratives for trial.
Prior to joining Grassi & Co., Ms. Sawhney worked at Marks Paneth LLP and a Big Four consulting firm with a focus on fraud and forensic investigations, breach of contract damage issues, and various bankruptcy fraud matters. Examples of cases she has worked on include assisting attorneys representing a Fortune 500 company in a case involving allegations of fraud, misrepresentation of financial statements and criminal activity of certain individual employees. She has also assisted attorneys in reviewing certain alleged fraudulent transactions in which she had to report her findings to the Audit Committee. Ms. Sawhney has also been involved in a number of arbitration proceedings involving shareholder disputes and breach of contract matters.
Sareena was also named Who's Who in Forensic Accounting by Long Island Business News in 2018.
- Retained as an independent firm by a large financial institution to conduct an investigation on how fraud occurred by a customer and report to the Board of Directors. Also assisted with the filing of the Proof of Claim.
- Assisted attorneys and their Defendant clients in a large high-profile white collar defense case by conducting a forensic accounting of the Government’s main witness which helped taint his credibility. The forensic accounting was used in the cross-examination of the Government’s main witness.
- Testified as a forensic accounting expert in Manhattan’s Surrogates Court to trace the flow of assets (over $5 million) from a Decedent’s bank accounts to a home healthcare worker’s bank accounts.
- Retained as a damages expert for a large investment firm to refute alleged damages suffered by Claimants (formerly employees of the investment firm) in a FINRA arbitration matter.
- Retained in a bankruptcy litigation matter to assist in determining the intent or constructive purpose of an entity as it relates to proving the “Badges of Fraud”.
- Examples of law firm clients I have been retained by include: Greenberg Traurig, Dechert, Kelley Drye & Warren, Kasowitz Benson & Torres, Gusrae Kaplan Nusbaum
Leading accounting, tax and advisory firm, Grassi & Co., is proud to announce the addition of Howard Fielstein as a Partner in their Forensic, Litigation Support and Valuation Services Practice, led by Sareena Malik Sawhney.
Grassi & Co. Welcomes Sareena Malik Sawhney as Principal of Fraud, Forensic and Litigation Support team
Grassi & Co. is proud to welcome Sareena Malik Sawhney as a Principal in Grassi & Co.’s Fraud, Forensic and Litigation Support Group based in their Manhattan offices on Madison Avenue.Read More
Articles & Alerts
Crain's New York Business has named Elizabeth Gousse Ballotte and Sareena Malik Sawhney to its 2019 Notable Women in Accounting and Consulting list.Read more
- “Ponzi Schemes Continue to Thrive”; Published in the Securities Litigation Report (November 2011)
- “Small Businesses Warned to be Aware of Employee Fraud”; Published in Accounting Today (November 2011)
- “Travel Expense and Payroll Fraud Case Study”; (Co-authored) Published in The Forensic Examiner (Fall 2013)
- “Health care fraud: Are you prepared to absorb the costs?”; Published in HealthCareBusiness news (January 2015)
- “Regulators Clamp Down on Casinos for Noncompliance”; Published in Gaming Law Review and Economics (June 2015)
- “Effective AML Programs, Policies and Procedures”; Chapter Published in Risk, Governance and Compliance for Financial Institutions 2015
- “Corruption Knows No Borders: FCPA compliance is not just an emerging market concern”; (Co-authored) Published in Metropolitan Corporate Council (July 2015)
- “Use Caution – Foreign Agents Ahead: Per the FCPA, third-party compliance with anti-bribery provisions is under scrutiny”; Published in Metropolitan Corporate Council (March 2016)
- "Money Laundering Risks in the Real Estate Industry" Published in Real Estate Finance Journal (April 2018)